Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 1994 06:10:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        jbeukema@HK.Super.NET, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: how to emulate kdhit()B?

Bruce Evans writes:

> >This "kbhit" just returns whether or not something is pending, which
> >is all the Microsoft library promised when this was written (way back when).
>
> Does the Microsoft one look at the keyboard or at stdin?  I'm familiar
> with the Borland one, which is documented to look on the keyboard, but
> actually looks at stdin.
>
> Be sure to implement this bug correctly :-).

The MS documentation says "the kbhit function checks the console
for a recent keystroke".  What it actually does is left as an
exercise for a user with a DOS system nearby.

We used this (and other than testing it to see that it works on
FreeBSD it probably hasn't been used in about 4 years; the MS C
documentation is copyright 1987) for developing programs
that ran in either a DOS or BSD environment.  At the time I think
we had one Vaxstation and some SONY News systems and this is what
worked best for us.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936