Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 17:32:03 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modems ... :)

On Sat, 14 February 1998 at 22:27:29 -0800, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
>> Of course, there's always the alternative: write your own driver.  If
>> anybody out there wants to try that, I'm sure you'll get all the
>> sympathy and help you deserve.
>
> Don't encourage someone to write a driver for God's sake! :) If no driver
> exists for any version of Unix maybe a few people won't buy a poor excuse
> of a modem..

What if they have one already?

We need to understand that most of the world still uses Microsoft.
They buy their hardware based on whether they can use it with
Microsoft.  Often the hardware is supplied.  9 times out of 10, if
somebody wants to buy a winmodem and finds that it doesn't work with
FreeBSD, they'll ditch FreeBSD, not the winmodem.

Having said that, of course I agree with you.  Winmodems are junk.
But that's not the issue, and I maintain that it *is* possible to get
them to work with FreeBSD.  Recall that for a long time we took a
similar stance on ATAPI CD-ROMs.

Greg