Date:      Wed, 01 Aug 2018 18:30:11 -0600
From:      Brad Davis <brd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-pkgbase@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pkgbase: Move of head/etc/ files

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, at 6:11 PM, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> Brad Davis <brd@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to move all config files out of head/etc/ and place them
> > with the source files for the particular use.  For example, some of
> > these are obvious moves like moving say portsnap.conf to
> > usr.sbin/portsnap/portsnap.conf.  The review for this move shows
>
> In the case of foo.conf for foo, this is a reasonable approach.
>
> There are however many files in etc/ that do not fit that model.
>
> IMO one of the nice things about the BSD src tree, is that the location
> of a file in the src tree can generally be inferred from its installed
> location on the system.
> This property should not be lost without substantial countervailing
> benefit.

Hi Simon,

I generally agree with you, but I think where to draw that line is different based on who is looking at it at the moment.

Lots, not all, but lots, of our config files have the $FreeBSD$ line that shows the path of where the file came from in the source tree, so that helps some.  Using /etc/shells as an example, the first line is:

# $FreeBSD: head/lib/libc/gen/shells 336840 2018-07-28 20:21:23Z brd $

Regards,
Brad Davis