Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:44:32 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chown  broken??

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 12:36:36AM +1100, Andrew Cutler wrote:
> I realise that now, but why does chown not ignore the match since most
> other commands simply return?
>         . is a directory -- ignored
>         .. is a directory -- ignored
>
> This inconsistency is not logical.

It is not inconsistent, the -R flag has told it to wend it's way through
the directory hierarchy. And chown unadorned can change the ownerships
of a directory as well.
Maybe you want a flag that own recurses down the hierarchy and not up it ... ?

Anyway the behaviour is consistent with other system commands that take
a recursion flag (cp for example).

Remember, sympathy is not abundant when mistakes are made as root ..
since we have all been there .. :) or :( .. depending on your point of
view.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson