Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:01:34 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Peter <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disappointed with version 6.0

Peter wrote:

>>You could check and see what sysutils/healthd reports.  It doesn't
>>

>get all the
>

>>volatges correct, but gets temps that, for me, reasonably match the
>>

>BIOS and
>

>>seem believable.
>>

>Is it a science project or fairly simple?

Trivial.  From memory but it should work:

Install healthd: portupgrade -iNR sysutils/healthd  (or just; cd
/usr/ports/sysutils/healthd; make install clean)
If (t)csh: rehash
Check temps etc: healthd -c 1
First temp should be motherboard, second cpu (third is the 2nd CPU which
you won't have an can ignore).  The temps I get do agree with the BIOS.

>I re-examined my heatsink and decided to redo the paste.  I don't
>expect
>immediate results but I booted up and I see the temperature rise
>steadily
>from 30 to 43 in under a minute.

That seems hot to me, but I believe it's well within the tolerance for
the processor.  AMD website would have that info.  Maybe a google would
reveal the kinds of temps people get for your specific processor.
Mine's a 3700 with 120mm heatsink and arctic silver, so I don't think it
could get much cooler.  Even under load like buildworld, temp only rises
a few degrees, which amazed me.

>>  If you haven't done a BIOS update, that might help your
>>power-up issues.
>>

>I have the latest BIOS installed.

I actually don't have the latest BIOS but 1001, and power-up after
power-fail appeared to work for me on a quick test last night.  I don't
have a UPS so all tests done by pulling the power lead and waiting a minute.

BIOS: APM on, & the relevant setting to "Last State" and "Power On".  I
shutdown -p, pulled the power lead.  Waited and then plugged back in.
If set to Power On, machine came back on; if set to Last State, staid
off.  Then tried pulling power lead while BIOS was doing it's stuff.
Power On, came back on and Last State also came back on.

Maybe you need to check BIOS behaviour just using the power lead and not
the UPS.  *Maybe* it's the UPS somehow causing your problems, though I'm
not sure how.

--Alex