Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:33:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>, <"."@babolo.ru>, David Nicholas Kayal <davek@saturn5.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Show me the light

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Chris Dillon wrote:

> > You don't need a DAC, you just connect each data pin to the output
> > through an appropriate resistor.  Google for "covox schematics".
>
> Right, I know, thats exactly what I made.  I just realized I never
> had any diodes in the thing, just resistors.  It was just a resistor
> ladder.  You aren't getting 8-bit resolution out of that, though,
> and it is not a PCM DAC.

My own memory does me a dis-service.  You're absolutely right, the way
those resistor ladders are designed, you really do get a rough
equivalent of an 8-bit PCM DAC.  I forgot that I had used lower to
higher resistances for the MSB through the LSB (respectively), which
would do the trick just about right.  For some reason I was
remembering that each bit carried an equal weight (which is certainly
possible to do, just wouldn't work well at all in this situation).

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet

No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.