Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 01:54:15 -0500
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@ds.net>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: httpd will not start

> I sent a message a bit ago but found the answer on a web site.
> Now when I enter ./apachectl start I get the following returned:
> httpd could not be started
> When I run ./apachectl configtest it returns Syntax OK
> What could be wrong?
> Chip W

First - the man page tells us that if you're running apache with
'nonstandard paths' that you'll need to edit the apachectl script to
reflect the new path/environment.  Have you tried that?

Second - how do you know that httpd isn't running?

Third - what port are you trying to run apache on?  I _think_ that if
you're running on a port < 1024 you'll need to start apache as root.
Are you?

Finally - is the apache from the ports collection?  My experience with
ports is that they'll generally start/run/work without any additional
configuration.

Good luck,
Jim