Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:03:31 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        pixfBSD <pixfbsd@earthlink.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hp date stamp ink cartridges

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:31, pixfBSD wrote:
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # hpif - Simple text input filter for lpd for HP-PCL based printers
> # Installed in /usr/local/libexec/hpif2
> #
> # Simply copies stdin to stdout.  Ignores all filter arguments.
> # Tells printer to treat LF as CR+LF.  Ejects the page when done.
>
> printf "\033&k2G" && cat && printf "\033&l0H" | sed -e 's/@PJL SET
> DATE=3D[0-3][0-9]-[01][0-9]-20[0-9][0-9]/@PJL SET DATE=3D01-12-2001/g' =
&&
> exit 0
> exit 2
>
> Thanks to the suggestion of the sed syntax I've tried a few renditions
> of this script.  (Sorry I forget who was the kind person with this
> syntax) I've been through a reload and could have sworn I had a backup
> of my mail directory :-P  doh!
>
> I've put the sed part after first ""printf "\033&k2G" && sed -e 's/@PJL
> SET DATE=3D[0-3][0-9]-[01][0-9]-20[0-9][0-9]/@PJL SET DATE=3D01-12-2001=
/g'
> ..."" I've even tried piping it after the first printf.  It still
> doesn't change the date on the dfA009<example.file>.

This was my suggestion!

(I thought you had disappeared into oblivion ;-) ).

> If I sed -e 's/@PJL SET DATE=3D[0-3][0-9]-[01][0-9]-20[0-9][0-9]/@PJL S=
ET
> DATE=3D01-12-2001/g' dfA009<example.file> > dfA009<newtest.file>.  It d=
oes
> change the line just fine.

Then maybe sed is not in the path as seen by lpd.
Try a full path: i.e. /usr/bin/sed in place of sed.

I should have thought of this possibility in the first place.
(I believe the 'cat' should be superfluous)

For the record, my original suggestion was:

printf "\033&k2G" && sed -e 's/@PJL SET DATE=3D[0-3][0-9]-[01][0-9]-20[0-=
9][0-9]/@PJL SET DATE=3D01-12-2000/g' && printf "\033&l0H" && exit 0

Malcolm Kay