Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:39:06 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        yramin <yramin@mail.redshift.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LDAP NIS replacement

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 04:23:32PM -0800, yramin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> New to the list, but I'm looking into developing a way to
> authenticate and grab user information from an LDAP server compared
> to /etc/passwd and company, or NIS.  I was poking around the library
> code and noticed that FreeBSD does not have NSS (name service
> switch) support (otherwise I would use nss_ldap already out there -
> it doesn't compile under FreeBSD even with IRS use enabled, I've
> tried ).  What would be the best way to write new getpwent(),
> etc. routines for FreeBSD?  I could stick them into a library and
> have programs that want to use them link to it, but that is a pain
> (although quite portable :)).
> I'm working on a PAM system first (yes, pam_ldap is out there, but
> it sucks, lots of linuxisms), but would be interested getting some
> work done on this as well.  Any thoughts, advice, pointers?

PLEASE use the enter key about every 80 characters... your email
looks horrible ;)

I'm working precisely on this. I've integrated the NSS functionality
from NetBSD into the standard C library of FreeBSD. I'm in the
process of rewriting the get* function to use the dispatcher.

Once we have that, the way to go would be to have the C library
dlopen the required modules as PAM does.

Are you sure that nss_ldap doesn't compile on freebsd? I think I
compiled it once (and of course it was unusable since FreeBSD
lacks NSS).

regards,

-oscar

--
pgp public key: finger obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu
pgp fingerprint: 6D 18 8C 90 4C DF F0 4B  DF 35 1F 69 A1 33 C7 BC