Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 20:09:16 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        dmm125@bellatlantic.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: as, binutils out of date?

In article <Pine.NEB.3.96.980112185929.28950A-100000@myname.my.domain>,
Donn Miller  <dmm125@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> I was just compiling the latest Wine distribution when I noticed that `as'
> from 2.2.5 R did not recognize the `string' pseudo-op.  I just compiled
> gas from GNU binutils-2.8.1, however, and it has this function.  Will
> binutils 2.8.1 be included with the next release?  I believe the present
> version may be out of date.
>
> Is FreeBSD's ld exactly the same as GNU's?

The FreeBSD assembler and linker are derived from relatively old
versions of the GNU software.  They have diverged substantially from
GNU since then.  The binutils "ld" doesn't support FreeBSD's shared
libraries.  There is very little chance that FreeBSD's assembler or
linker will be brought up to date with binutils-2.8.1 until we switch
to ELF.  Simple fixes such as "string" could be brought in, though.
Patches are always welcome.

John