Date:      Thu, 03 Sep 1998 22:34:00 -0400
From:      Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>
To:        "Gregory D. Moncreaff" <moncrg@ma.ultranet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, jhicks@jhicks.glenatl.glenayre.com
Subject:   Re: CompactPCI

> does FreeBSD run on CompactPCI?
> any issues, recommended vendors?
>
> thanks,
> -g

Yes, we have run FreeBSD on CompactPCI but only to test it briefly.

When implemented properly on Intel hardware, you should be able to run nearly
any PC-based operating system on CompactPCI as though it were a standard
PC.

We've run FreeBSD on Ziatech hardware (uniprocessor only) and have enjoyed
a very good relationship with them for some time.  Ziatech is also the
original innovator of of CompactPCI.

They might be willing to arrange for compatibility testing for FreeBSD. I'll
ask.

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks
jerry.hicks@glenayre.com