Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 12:19:57 -0500
From:      "Michael J. Streeter" <mike2609@aiusa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cannot Mount Root -- 3.1 Release

I just installed 3.1 on my machine, and I'm getting the infamous "error
6: panic cannot mount root (2)" message.  I had the same sort of problem
when running 2.2.7, but I was able to get to the boot prompt and enter
0:wd(2,a)kernel and get into the system.  However, I am not getting a
boot prompt on 3.1, and instead when the machine is booting it says
"press a key for the command prompt" which comes up immediately after
the bootstrap loader.  I've tried several different commands within this
command prompt, but none are resolving the issue.  Any help would be
appreciated!

Mike

Here is the info on the system:

EIDE CD-ROM (wdc0), EIDE Quantum Fireball HD ( wdc1: unit 0 (wd2) )

disk1: BIOS Drive C
  disk1s1a  FFS      32MB
  disk1s1b  SWAP  69MB
  disk1s1e  FFS      30MB