Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 2004 15:39:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Wehle <john@feith.com>
To:        tim@spyderweb.com.au
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 for FreeBSD 5.2

> I am using a cable which is s-video male at one end and has 2 male RCA
> plugs at the other.

An s-video signal has separate luminance and chrominance information.
An s-video cable is really two cables in one (a cable for the
luminance and a cable for the chrominance).

> I assume this is some kind of hacked composite input, but the audio
> doesn't seem to work.

It's not exactly a hacked composite input, and it certainly isn't
an audio input.  The cable you're using simply breaks out the two
components which make up an s-video signal.  It works for connecting
a composite video source to the Hauppauge because the video input
connector on the board can be programmed to use both sets of pins
so a s-video source can be attached, or to use one set of pins for
composite video (in which case the second set of pins isn't used).

The PVR-350 manual shows the audio input as the second connector from
the bottom ... located right above the IR jack.

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: john@feith.com  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |