Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:47:14 -0400
From:      "Michael H. Semcheski" <lists@immuneit.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Explaining FreeBSD features

On Thursday 23 June 2005 11:24 am, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> > I think, that really only questions, whose answers cannot
> > readily be found elsewhere, should be asked on this list.

> For the most part, yes, only non-readily available answers should be
> posted to the list, but there are circumstances where the list can
> provide, as someone else suggested a quick RTFM, here is the link to
> what you are looking for.

I think the answers that someone who has been using FreeBSD for 6 days or 6
weeks can find are going to be a small subset of the set of answers found by
someone who has been using FreeBSD for 6 years.

Often on mailing lists, I've been pointed in the ride direction.  If you say
something as simple as "check out man 8 sysctl", thats teaching someone to
fish.  We aren't all born super-geniuses, but with a little help most of us
can get on our way.

The other thing is if you do a google search for an error message you're
having, you're likely to find archives of mailing lists.  Remember that when
you answer a question.  This may come back and help someone out in a few
years.

> > Part of the FreeBSD education should consist of informing the
> > user how they can help themselves, and how they should seek
> > help in the event that the self-help fails. If that education
> > scheme was effectively employed, perhaps there wouldn't be as
> > many "stupid" questions.

> Yes, but how does one inform the user of the self-help approach.
> Obviously putting that education in the handbook would be moot as they
> likely haven't read the handbook anyway ;)

Nobody starts out wanting to become an expert, they just want to accomplish a
task.  Eventually, they may actually become an expert, or have the self-help
skills to solve problems on their own.  With trial and error, you eventually
find that asking for help is not the quickest or most reliable way to solve a
problem in every case.  But, thats a necessary lesson to learn nonetheless.

Mike