Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2002 19:58:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        carl.kreider@windriver.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: read a file from a driver

In message: <40835.1017848294@critter.freebsd.dk>
            Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> writes:
: In message <20020403101614.A12363@indy.doctordesign.com>, "Kreider, Carl" write
: s:
: >
: >I am working on an embedded project running FreeBSD, and my driver
: >for our custom card needs to load an FPGA with code. I know I can
: >compile the code in as data, but for ease of development, I would
: >rather fetch the FPGA code from a file. With a driver in kernel
: >space. Really.
: >
: >Can it be done? If so, how? open() and read() are obviously in libc
: >which rules them out. Do I have to write my own in assembler?
:
: Don't even think about it.
:
: At the time your driver is probed/attached, there is no filesystems
: mounted yet.
:
: Best suggestion is to use an ioctl to download the data from
: userland.

The other alternative that I've seen used is to have a module that
loaded at the same time as the driver that has the firmware.  This
allows that second module to, in theory, be unloaded and the memory
reclaimed.

Warner