Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:59:27 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        tt-list@simplenet.com
Subject:   Re: Frontpage and jails and possible alternatives

This is for the archives ... I have good news and bad news.

The bad news is that I can't repeat the bizaar IP binding behaviour on a test
box.  On this test box, it works as expected.  Figures ... the only time it
won't work right is on a production box!  <grumble grumble>

The good news is that jails rock!  Apache_fp runs happily inside a jail and is
incapable of binding to other IPs on the machine (aside from the one IP assigned
to the jail).  Of course, this is also chroot in nature, so any exploits that
may show up are limited to the directory tree I set aside for the jail.

So, I'm kind of frustrated that I have this mysterious behaviour that I can't
explain, but I'm pretty happy that I have a solution/workaround to move
forward in spite of the issue.  In a few days, the troublesome installation
won't even exist anymore, it'll have been replaced with a jail!