Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 23:28:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Allan <kosmos@vi.dyn.ml.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   how to cvsup ports-stable

>How do I cvsup the latest -stable ports collection?  I just did a fresh
>install from some 2.2.5 CDs and a lot of the ports don't work (lynx and
>netscape, for example).

Unfortunately, the ports begin to evaporate not long after the last
release. A cool role for cvsup is to use it just to keep current with ports.

Make sure you have the cvsup utility, and make a script and a supfile. Run
it every so often to update your ports files.

~/getports.sh 		(add a "-P-" switch if you are firewalled)
---
#!/bin/sh
sudo cvsup -L2 -g /etc/cvsupfile
---

/etc/cvsupfile:
---
# $Id: stable-supfile,v 1.12 1997/10/02 00:01:35 jkh Exp $
*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_2_2
*default delete use-rel-suffix compress
ports-all tag=.
---

If you have a firewall, edit:  /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk
and find this line:

FETCH_CMD?=           /usr/bin/fetch

Add a "-P" for passive mode to enable port-building:

FETCH_CMD?=           /usr/bin/fetch -P

--Allan
  kosmos@vi.dyn.ml.org