Date:      Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:39:01 +0200
From:      Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
To:        "Digital Brain" <digitalbrain@hotmail.com>
Cc:        dionch@freemail.gr, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient and ADSL modem trouble...

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:31:20 +0000
"Digital Brain" <digitalbrain@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> >Linux and freebsd you re trying,  running on same hardware (nic) ?
> >I'm saying that cause some ISPs lock their  "IP-offering"
> >with each client's hardware address (which is defined at first use).
>
> Linux is on my laptop (and works ok), while freebsd is on another machine.
> I had thought of that and so I tried the following:
>    1. while I had a connection from the laptop with an assigned ip, I pulled
> out
>        the cable and connected it to the freebsd machine.
>    2. I changed the IP to the one assigned on the laptop (ed0 interface)
>    3. I added the gateway via /sbin/route and modified /etc/resolv.conf.
>
>    --> Now, this works ok, so I know the ISP is not locking the session
> based
>          on the MAC address (since I didn't spoof that on FreeBSD).
>
> So, the problem remains: dhcp doesn't work from the freebsd machine...

Those are two different things.
MAC address can be blocked for new DHCP offer but firewall does not need to block MAC addresses that do not exist in the DHCP lease.
The firewall may be blocking an IP which is not existing in the DHCP lease and in your case it's propably there.
Check the lease time for your client.
Also try to assign an IP to your PC that's not the same one as the one handed you out by DHCP server and see if you can still ping outside.
Try to upgrade to 6.0 and see if the new DHCP client works.

Cheers
Marcin