Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:32:57 -0800
From:      William Sommers <sommers@sfo.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7 FreeBSD

At 01:36 PM 11/12/01 +0300, ksemat@wawa.eahd.or.ug wrote:

 > I noticed that when freebsd is booting even before it loads the
 > kernel it detects for the presence of a keyboard. And those times
 > when I have booted it without a keyboard and later needed it, I have
 > had to inset the keyboard and then reboot in order for freebsd to
 > start using the keyboard.

Er, I don't think that's quite right -- I believe (though could be wrong)
that the detection of a keyboard does not occur prior to the kernel probes
at all unless it's been explicitly specified during the bootstrap (e.g.
'-P' flag is set in /boot.config for serial console switch functionality).

What you may be seeing is the effect of GENERIC's default setting, which
calls for a kernel probe for presence of a keyboard.  If it is found, the
driver is loaded -- if not found, then no keyboard driver is loaded.  I've
no idea why this behavior was chosen as default:

  device         atkbd0 at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1

So, remove the '0x1' FAIL_IF_NO_KBD flag to force a load:

  device         atkbd0 at atkbdc? irq 1

and you'll have greater flexibility in that regard.

(None of which helps the original poster of course... 2.x was a looooong
time ago.)

  -wfs