Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 13:39:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        bsdneophyte@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: information about $CVSROOT, 'cvs update' and 'cvsup' - help!

> I tried to update my existing tree... by typing (what was stated in Greg
> Lehey's book):
>
> cd /usr/src
> cvs update -P -d
>
> I keep getting the following error:
>
> cvs update: No CVSROOT specified!  Please use the `-d' option
> cvs [update aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.

<snip>

Hi,

what you want to do is NOT to download the whole CVS (Concurrent Versions
System) repository but do update your code to 4.3-STABLE. (That's an assumption
made by me based on what i wanted to do as a newbie.)

For that there is a tool called "cvsup". Simple said: You ask a server to give
you what you want to have from the central repository (eg. from an exact date,
for a special release and so on), download it to your place and update your
source.
A detailed overview can be found at:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cvsup.html

Ok. Now to the question how to go on after you have decided what to update and
download the new source successfully. Try this webpage (or your local handbook
copy found under /usr/share/doc/handbook in various formats):
http://www.de.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html

But, be warnend: Due to a code freeze for a new release there are very much
updates in place (and not all are tested well because we are all human beings)
and not all things are compiling error free. Wait until next week. Things will
be better then.

Hope that helps

marc