Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 08:38:50 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.1.1

> > > My presumption is that everyone agrees that we'll move to it
> > > 'eventually'. does anyone have ideas as to when 'eventually' is?
> >
> > I thought the advice from Paul was to 'wait awhile' and integrate when
> > everything got finished up, which means 'wait awhile' to me. :)
>
> I was under the impression that there are some fairly important changes in
> BIND 8.1.1

This is true, but none of those changes are 'security' or necessary
changes for most users.

> Couldn't 8.1.1 be made a package/port in the meantime, it would make life
> a bit easier for all the isp folks who run FreeBSD.

Why?  ISP's are *very* safe running BIND 4.9.6, which is the default in
all FreeBSD versions except 2.1.X.  All of the known security holes are
fixed in that version, and it has the advantage of being compatible
(setup-wise) with all older versions of BIND in use today.

> How many (any?) new users will chose Linux/BSDi/Solaris or whatever else
> is now running 8.1.1 by default ?

Only those who don't do their homework.  There is no need for 8.1.1 for
*anyone*, and since it will be changing, it'll be *more* work for them
to upgrade to the next version when it comes up since it will also
contain new changes, while if they stick with 4.9.6 (or if new bugs are
found, 4.9.7, or whatever) until BIND 8 'stabilizes', the upgrade will
only require *one* big change, rather than possibly lots of changes as
BIND 8 is modified.

I'm sure Paul Vixie doesn't want the same thing to happen with BIND that
happened with sendmail, so that the sendmail.cf file changed on a
regular basis, and that a new version was required every week.  I'll bet
he wants to get all of the little 'niggly details' shaken out of BIND 8
before calling it *the* new standard, so that's why he's still
maintaining Bind 4.9.X for folks.

Now, that's not to say that he's unwilling to have you test BIND 8
(cause how else will all the 'niggly details' get shaken out if people
don't test it), but it's certainly not required to have a secure system.

Nate