Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 22:03:12 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Zappa & PCI

On Jan 2, 12:59, Terry Lambert wrote:
} > I'll probably make the "no driver assigned" message go away
} > for all kinds of support chips (CPU to PCI bridge, standard
} > ISA peripherals, ...), since those can be identified by their
} > PCI class code. (This is already done for PCI graphics cards.)
}
} NetBSD has a very large database for this in their current code.

Yes, I knew about that, and used it as a reference at a time ...

} It is actually probably too large, IMO.

I don't really understand what use there is to have all those names
of unsupported devices in the kernel :)

} We need ELF or some other mechanism for segment identification to
} enable kernel paging.

Well, I don't believe in kernel paging at all!
We better kept our kernel reasonably small ...

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160