Date:      Sun, 7 Jun 1998 19:39:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David H. Brierley" <dave@galaxia.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as an X-Terminal

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a minimal FreeBSD system (2.2.6) as an
> X-Terminal. I've installed X (it works), but I can't seem to figure
> out how to configure it so that it issues an XDMCP request to our
> central host (a SCO box) so that the latter will present a login
> widget on the FreeBSD box.

What I did was to set up a fake login program that validated the
username and password and then presented the user with a list of
hostnames similar to what you get with xdm.  Once the user selects
a host, the program does an "rsh" to the specified host and runs a
script that starts up an X session.  It's not the most elegant
solution in the world, and I didn't bother with a fancy point-n-click
interface, but it gets the job done.  Doing this we were able to
convert a stockpile of old 486/33 machines that had previously been
destined for the scrap heap into usable X terminal systems.

--
David H. Brierley
    dave@galaxia.com