Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 2000 07:32:23 -0600
From:      Steve Heistand <heistand@heistand.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   machine crashed with possible bug

hi folks,

(Im not on this email list so please include me in the replies)

I had a machine crash on me last night that might have caused by a potential
bug.  I am not quite ready to have my machine crash again so I thought I would
post it here to see if anyone else has noticed it before trying to reproduce the
problem.

What happened was a recursive copy of a directory that contained a link to /dev/null.
ie:

prompt: mkdir /tmp/test
prompt: ln /dev/null /tmp/test/file_this
prompt: cp -r /tmp/test /tmp     (hung here and crashed)

This was running as a normal user on a 4.1-stable system updated last on july 31st

thanks

steve

Steve Heistand
heistand@heistand.org