Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:02:30 -0700
From:      "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
To:        "'Bsd Neophyte'" <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: can't connect to the network

> i'm running FreeBSD 4.8 on one of my machines.  i'm having a=20
> really frustrating problem.  i cannot connec to anything=20
> outside of the interface.

Is it giving any error msg?

If it says no route to host, you need to setup a default route, but I
doubt this is the issue.

>=20
> i've quarduple checked that the NIC is assigned an address=20
> with the same subnet as my network.  i can ping the ip=20
> address on the NIC, but i can't ping any other device on the network.

Again, error msg?  If it says host is down, I would check hardware.  Is
there a link light on hub/switch?  If there is no hub/switch, are you
using a crossover cable?  It is hard to say without more details.

>=20
> i had firewall options in my rc.conf, but they are all=20
> commented out (quadruple checked that too).

That could be an issue.  If you have a default to deny in kernel and you
comment out all your firewall lines, it will block everything.  If you
get an error msg of permission denied, this is generally what is going
on.