Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:05:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Aleksander Rozman - Andy <andy@kksonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding new networking protocol (ax.25)

a couple of comments..

understand mbufs vs  Linux pkbufs.
there are several "added" protocols.

see what netgraph does to add itself as a protocol
the socket part of doing so is in ng_socket.c
and the bottom end is in ng_base.c where it adds a handler to the
netisr structures. look however at how ip or appletalk
actually get teh packets from there, rather than how netgraph does,
which is non standard.

( you have to add yourself to structures at both the top and bottom
of the kernel.)

divert sockets also add themself as a IP subprotocol.
(the top part)