Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2005 04:48:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tom Huppi <thuppi@huppi.com>
To:        Alexander Bubnov <ab_fatal@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: ppp -auto my_provider

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Alexander Bubnov wrote:

> Hello Tom,
>
> Wednesday, February 2, 2005, 11:02:04 AM, you wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Alexander Bubnov wrote:
>
> >> could you help me, please? (I have FreeBSD 5.3)
> >>
> >> this question:
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/ppp.html#PPP-AUTO-NOREASONDIAL
> >>
> >> Why does ppp(8) dial for no reason in -auto mode?
>
> > I've fought the same irritating issue now and again.  As for
> > diagnosis, the most useful thing I've found is to turn on full
> > logging (in ppp.conf), then grep (or tail -f or whatever) the log
> > looking for the dial trigger after a spurious dial.  I'm not on
> > the machine from which I have the misfortune of needing to use a
> > modem so I can't say off-hand the exact string to look for, but
> > it's not any of the four lines you've posted.
>
> full log (if it help you remeber that string, if not when you
> are on that machine could you send me the string, please?):

Thinking back and looking at the man page a bit, I believe that
what you want to log is 'Filter'.  Here's a bit from the (long!)
man page (locate 'LOGGING' to find it.):

        DNS        Log DNS QUERY packets.
        Filter     Log packets permitted by the dial filter and
                    denied by any filter.
        HDLC       Dump HDLC packet in hex.

IIIRC, you can then 'grep Filter' to see what triggered the dial.
This was sufficient in my case to determine what machine behind my
NAT gateway was misbehaving, and something about what it was
trying to do (i.e., contact Yahoo! IM server (determined after an
nslookup).)  It may not give enough info to pinpoint exactly the
cause of the troubles in your case, but it would be a good start I
think.

Thanks,

 - Tom