Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:04:56 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any procmail experts here?

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 07:59:32PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> We have dozens of users who might get bit by the MIME filename buffer
> overflow bug described at
>
> http://www.sjmercury.com/business/microsoft/docs/security0728.htm
>
> and would like to try to use procmail to plug the hole (it seems to be the
> best tool for the job). However, I have no experience with procmail. Could
> someone help me write a procmail.rc that will eliminate the extra-long
> filenames, truncating them back to (say) 64 characters max? All that's
> required is to recognize the Content-type: .... filename="<name>" header
> and make sure that <name> is chopped if it's too long.
>
> This would be a fix for which thousands of sysadmins would be exceedinglyy
> grateful.

Brett,

I suggest you also make that request of the procmail mailing list, at
procmail@informatik.rwth-aachen.de (subscription requests to
procmail-request@...)  There are some real procmail geniuses there.

Regards,

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                       "How do I read this file?"
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com                "You uudecode it."