Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 07:28:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, peter@taronga.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad superblock?

> When I umount under 2.0.5 it updates the clean bit on the superblock but
> not on the backup superblock. When I boot 1.1.5.1, it sees the superblocks
> are different and forces a manual fsck.
>
> Nothing is bad. I'm just wondering why umount doesn't set the clean bit in
> the backup superblock. It's not saving anything, since the system is routinely
> writing to the backup superblock anyway. And it provides the *illusion* of a
> bad file system when the file system is perfectly good.

Hi,

Someone please correct me, did 1.1.5.1 even have clean bits????  I remember
upgrading and this would happen with 1.1.5.1 FS with 2.X.  2.X would think
its dirty and always fsck the drive.

It was not until I converted all off my filesystems to 2.X did I start getting
clean re-boots.

Gary
--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF)     |          FreeBSD support and service
gclarkii@FreeBSD.ORG        |     mail info@gbdata.com for information