Date:      13 Jun 2002 23:20:11 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE

 Annelise Anderson writes
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > When it will be made I announce it of the launching of the
> > > 4.6-release version?
> > >
> > > In ftp.freebsd.org already it has source to download and the ISO
> > > of 4.6-mini and 4.6-disc2
> >
> > Patience. Subscribe to freebsd-announce@freebsd.org if you want to be
> > notified of it's release.
>
> It used to be that once a release was tagged, the newvers.sh file was
> changed so that it the version would reflect RELEASE and then STABLE.
> Now apparently the "security branch" tag exists but not the 4.6-RELEASE
> tag.
>
> Sure, tags get slid.  But where's the tag?
>
> It's nice to be cautious; it's also nice to respond to your customers.

I think the patience comment was because in the last two days, there
have been at least 3 threads on this list asking when 4.6 will be out.
Murray responded to the first one and pointed people to the FreeBSD
announce list. He even went so far as to describe the release message
process.

I see a lot of people here are in a huge rush for 4.6. I have two
questions for those people.

1. Would you rather have software that always ships on estimated
schedule, or software that is reliable, solid and dependable? I know
which one I choose.

2. What is there in 4.6 that you are so desparate for? And if 4.5 is
missing this critical feature that you so desparately appear to need,
then why not use 4.6-RC ?

Be patient people. The release team do a good job under loads of
pressure. They would have more time to do their work if they weren't
responding to messages asking 'When will it be done?'. If you want it
done faster, chip in.

Oh, and until you're paying money for a service or product, you're not
a customer. We are currently recipients of a benevolent foundation.

--
- Wayne Pascoe  -  http://www.penguinpowered.org.uk/wayne/
    Mary had a crypto key, she kept it in