Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2003 00:54:08 +0100
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        camuflag <camuflag@globo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: It's very relevant emailing you

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 08:37:52PM -0500, camuflag wrote:
> Honourable Mr Park
>
> My name is Ziad Fazah.Indeed, I have already emailed you twice,
> concerning the non-possibility of Freebsd installation version 4.7. But
> after having installed Freebsd version 4.9, I got disappointed at
> Freebsd Kernel, because it didn't recognize my sound card and the
> ethernet controller.

The GERNIC kernel doesn't detect any soundcart. You have to build you
own version that does. You can read how to do this in the FreeBSD
handbook (www.freebsd.org/handbook). Its to book to read if you have a
problem with something.

About hardware support: not all hardware is supported. If you ethernet
card doesn't work and you didn't cut any out of the kernel, then its
proberbly not gonna work. www.freebsd.org has a link on the top rigth
that tell you what hardware is and what is not supported.

> Thus, I am asking you, whether there have been new
> switches on version 5.1 , referring  to its kernel. Unfortunately, I
> couldn't install it, due to the fact of having stopped immediately by
> announcing: Unknown cards. Thus, I checked out all irqs, and afterwards,
> I realized that my network card and the network sound hadn't been
> recognized by Freebsd. What a deception!!

No body have told you that FreeBSD support all the availeble hardware.
I'm sorry that you see it like this, but it far from the truth.

--
Alex

P.S. Please CC me.

Articles based on solutions that I use: