Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 22:58:49 -0400
From:      Jim Martin <jjmartin@eos.ncsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   simple unix question ?

Hi, if I'm telnet'ing into a server and if I issue the command
 echo '12\t34'  I will see '12\t34' on some (freebsd) machines and
'12    34' on others machines (AIX).  And on other machines
we see the \t come back as the ascii tab (0x09).  I need to learn how to
control configure the telnet session to be able to translate
the tab (the \t) or to not translate.

The stty -oxtab I thought was to allow tabs to go untranslated.
If I issue 'stty oxtab' to enable translation of tabs, I don't see
freebsd substitute spaces for the tab. Likewise I can't change
AIX's behavior with the stty command.

what else is involved with being able to turn on and off the
tab translation over a telnet session?

thanks,
jim