Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:56:54 +0000
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT4 server 2.5 times faster than Linux

On Thu 1999-04-15 (02:44), Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> What is the possibility to have a platform simular to the one Mindcraft
> used and do our own testing ? Then do not repeat the errors they did.
>
> Invite someone from the Linux community to participate and also someone
> who could tune an NT box. I wouldn't mind to do something like that.

This is the problem with independent labs doing in-house testing of
products they know and have tested before (NT), versus something they
can sorta work out from documentation, and poorly at that (Linux).

With the Linux community, you have to hit someone really high to do
your performance enhancements for Linux, otherwise the rest of them
will spend too much time spamming saying that your tests are FUD, FUD,
FUD, FUD etc, because "I've never heard of this guy, he isn't Linus" or
possibly Alan Cox, "and is thus noone".

(You can't really blame them, they don't seem to have the depth
recognition we apparently enjoy - there isn't just "jkh and possibly
davidg", you have a long list of people who are assumed to have a clue)

And, of course, the NT people will say it was these outrageous zealous
Open Source people running the test, and you're not likely to find
anyone of sufficient standing to manage the system.

However, since you need only hit the people buying the systems, any
"performance test" is likely to affect them - somehow if it's on the
web, or in the newspapers it is necessarily true.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za