Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 18:57:50 -0700
From:      "George W. Dinolt" <gdinolt@pacbell.net>
To:        bsletten@nova.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xmms 1.2.3

Brian Sletten wrote:
> I just tried upgrading to xmms 1.2.3 and MP3 playback stopped working.
> I can still
> play CDs using xmms, but when I try to play an MP3 there is a clicking
> sound and then nothing happens.
> I'm running 4.1-STABLE from about a month ago w/ OSS 393o for FreeBSD 4.x.

Brian:

I can confirm similar behaviour. I had no problems with xmms-1.2.2 but
xmms-1.2.3 with and without the 3DNOW patch seems to fail. The build
works fine and the program runs. Note that although the Makefile hints
that one can disable the 3DNOW patch, there are some bugs in the file
which don't permit that. I tweaked the Makefile to get the compilation
to go through, but I have no confidence that what I did makes any sense.

The symptoms I see in both cases are the same as you reported. The clock
reporting the time played seems to increase and in at least once case I
got some static. I have tested only on a 4.1 system with sources updated
to Saturday evening U.S. Pacific Daylight Time. I am using
XFree86-3.3.6. There seems to be a problem with the newest port. I
backstepped to the 1.2.2 package and all works well.

Regards,
George Dinolt