Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:18:32 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Chad Thunberg <chadth@atvideo.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: uu_unlock warnings

> Anyone know how to go about fixing this error i am getting for user ppp?  I run a script that detects whether ppp -background isp is running and restarts it if down, and i get this error sometimes when the script is trying to execute.  Could it be because the connection just went down and hasn't had time to unlock the cuaa1.if file?
> Oct 14 08:34:40 ns1 ppp[54]: tun0: Alert: Warning: Can't uu_unlock /var/run/cuaa1.if

Wouldn't you be better off using ``ppp -ddial'' ?

>From the sounds of it, something else is removing
/var/spool/lock/LCK..cuaa1 (this error is caused by the lack of this
file).

If you're starting ppp from /etc/start_if.tun0 and haven't got an
up-to-date /etc/rc, it's possible that ppp is being started and is
opening and locking cuaa1 *before* /var/run is cleaned - resulting in
this problem the first time ppp disconnects.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;