Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 98 21:02:34 EST
From:      pstephan@cs.cmu.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PCMCIA ethernet setup

Hi,

I've recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 on my ThinkPad 560, and now I'm
trying to get the network interfaces set up properly.  I have been running
ppp over a PCMCIA modem successfully for some time now, but I need to
add support for ethernet access to my local LAN.  I have a 3Com 3C589D
PCMCIA ethernet card installed in the machine, and pccardd seems to
recognize it properly as device ep0.

I'd like to be able to use the ethernet card in three different situations.
First, I'd like to be able to use it as the only network interface on the
machine to access a stand-alone LAN (of about 5 nodes).  In this case I assume
that I need the following set in my rc.conf file:
  pccard_enable="YES"
  pccard_mem="DEFAULT"
  pccard_ifconfig="ep0"

  tcp_extensions="YES"
  ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
  ifconfig_ep0="inet 10.20.30.1 netmask 0xffffffff"  # IP address on local LAN

  defaultrouter="NO"
  router_enable="YES"

Do these look right?  In this case should I set the network_interfaces
parameter like this
	  network_interfaces="lo0 ep0"
or should I leave out 'ep0'?  It seems that when I have 'ep0' in this line
the ifconfig is performed before pccardd is run, so the ifconfig fails.  But,
when I leave 'ep0' out of this line, pccardd doesn't configure that interface
for me when it recognizes the card.  What am I missing here?

Second, I'd like to be able to use the ethernet card to access the local
LAN while using ppp to access the rest of the Internet.  For this I need
to allow two different IP addresses - the one on my LAN and the one assigned
dynamically by my ISP.  I guess that I can define one in the ifconfig_ep0
line of rc.conf, and ppp will negotiate the other with the ISP, but will
this all work together?  Will I need to statically define the other nodes
in my LAN?  Again, do I put the 'ep0' device in my network_interfaces line?
Will my local 'routed' conflict with ppp's routing of packets?

Finally, I'd like to be able to use the ethernet card to connect directly
to a real ethernet drop on a live network when one is available.  Same
questions about when/how the interface gets configured apply here.  I guess
that in this scenario I'll need to set defaultrouter to the gateway as well.

Any help that you can offer me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter
---
Peter Stephan                          CMU School of Computer Science
pstephan@cs.cmu.edu                    Research Programmer