Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 1996 10:19:04 CDT
From:      Soren Dayton <csdayton@midway.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   One question about tm_gmtoff

I am porting mindy-1.5 which is a partial implementation of Apple's OO
language Dylan.  The only problem is that it is presuming that there is
an extern long timezone. The SunOS manpage for ctime, tzset, etc claims
that the proper way to get this information is to use the tm_gmtoff
field of the tm struct.  The problem I have is that they do not agree.
i also get the same results (timezone on an svr4 machien in the same
timezone agrees with the SunOS machine and tm_gmtoff agrees with my
FreeBSD machine).  (in Chicago timezone says 21600 and tm_gmtoff says
-18000).  So what is the relation between these two?  I suspect that I
need something like the svr4 value, but I am not really sure why.  Does
anyone have any suggestions?

and if this continues on hackers could people keep me in the cc header?
I am no longer on that list.

thanks
Soren Dayton