Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 22:10:45 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "E. J. Cerejo" <ecerejo@zapo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Grip and Blackbox

On 2002-05-30 01:13 -0400, E. J. Cerejo wrote:
> I'm running 4.6 stable, and I intalled grip from ports but I get
> this error message when I try to run it (I do have a music CD in the
> CDROM):
>
> Error: Unable to initialize [/dev/cdrom]
>
> I'm running blackbox, does anybody know if Grip only runs in Gnome?
> What other good alternatives do I have to Grip?

That's most likely not a problem with blackbox, or Gnome, or anything
else.  Grip tries to open the CDROM device by looking for /dev/cdrom.
It should have an option to specify an alternate CDROM device.  Use it.
If you're simply too bored to fix every damned program that assumes
without asking you a CDROM can be found at /dev/cdrom, you can make a
symbolic link from /dev/acd0c (or whatever your CDROM is called) to
/dev/cdrom and let it use it's favorite name to find it.

- Giorgos