Date:      Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:16:52 +0200
From:      Claus Guttesen <kometen@gmail.com>
To:        Igor Robul <igorr@speechpro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
Subject:   Re: Quality of FreeBSD

> >How come the ATA code which was very stable in 4.x was screwed with in a
> >production release, breaking it, with no path backwards to the working
> >code?
> >
> I had not ANY problems with ATA on several mothersboards, both SMP and
> uniproc.

I must say that I have had few problems using FreeBSD as my main OS.
I've been using it as a nfs-server since the 5.2-alpha-days using a
compaq smartarray (ciss) and a qlogic 2300 hba (isp) serving some TB
of data. It was *rock-solid*. Longest uptime was 171 days when I tool
it down for maintenance. I phased it out recently after almost two
years of very reliable service. I had problems using the qlogic-hba on
the amd64-port with 4 GB RAM on 5.4, and switched to the i386-port
where it was very stable.

Then I have 5.2 and 5.4 as a firewall (5.2 with ipfw/dummynet/ipf and
5.4 with pf) on ATA.

The webserver started out as 5.1 on ATA and SCSI (amr). The webservers
needed some tweaking to /boot/loader.conf, otherwise it would (re)boot
without any notice or message. Other than that it's been very stable,
only recently did I get some resettings on my em-onboard gb-nic on two
particular servers. The others run fine.

Then I use it as a samba- and imap-server and some troubleticketing.

I had very few problems, I don't consider myself *that* lucky but knew
that running alpha- and beta-versions of FreeBSD as a nfs-server was
not without risk. But testing over and over made me confident that it
was stable for my purpose.

I haven't had the need to enter the SATA-area except for one webserver
using a 3ware-card which was recommended by the vendor. This SATA-card
haven't given me any problems.

regards
Claus