Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:06:38 -0800
From:      "Wilbert de Graaf" <wilbertdg@hetnet.nl>
To:        "wu haijun" <haggai.wu@huawei.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A question for PPPoE 's MTU:

Hi Wu,

I remember this problem when we implemented an IP aggregator behind our
terminal servers. We configured our servers to respond with packet telling
the client to start over again and use smaller, not fragmented, ip packets.
This definitely improved performance. I think this is rfc879 (The TCP
Maximum Segment Size) related.
I don't remember how we did it but I believe just setting the MTU on that
interface to 1492 in your case, and set don't fragment.

- Wilbert