Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 21:05:14 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Dru Nelson <dnelson@redwoodsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UDMA in 2.2.8 - patches?

> IDE will be OK for these machines, I'm just worried about too many
> interupts and not getting good IO performance.
>
> What is the outlook or possible big ugly monster involved with
> getting DMA or some of the EIDE features into 2.2.8 (Intel only
> chipsets)?  I have no problem with putting something in /sys/pci
> to get going on this... *(I'm willing to spend some time on this)*
>
> I can rationalize adding support for DMA 2.2.8, and testing it thoroughly,
> I can't see going to 3.0 just yet.

If you're not too worried about CPU on these machines, I'd suggest
looking at trying some of the go-faster IDE flags available in 2.2.x
before deciding that you need DMA.  Try the 32-bit flag (reduce CPU
overhead) and the multi-sector transfer count (reduce interrupt count);
try 8 or 16 sectors at most.

> BTW, hdparm on linux, isn't bad. Can ide be controled dynamically from
> command line on 3.0?

No; what would you like to tune?