Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 1998 22:52:32 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Jerry <jerryr@ComCAT.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd - Connect script failed.

This is what I suggest:

Jerry writes:
> I've been using user ppp and now want to use pppd I setup the following
> files as per the manual but I'm getting Connect script failed.  First if
> you could look at the script in case I missed something and second when I
> get this error is it only talking about the dial.chat file?
>
> I'm using this command:
> pppd /dev/cuaa1 57600 connect 'chat -f /etc/ppp/dial.chat' user username
>
> /etc/ppp/dial.chat
> ABORT BUSY
> ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
> TIMEOUT 5
> '' ATZ
> OK ATDT4783765
> TIMEOUT 50
> CONNECT
> TIMEOUT 10
> gin:-\\r-gin: username
> sword: password

Delete the above lines after CONNECT

> /etc/ppp/options
> defaultroute
> crtscts
> modem
> domain domain.com
> persist
> user username

Change the above user line to the username your ISP expects. Make a
suitable entry in /etc/pap-secrets with your password for this username
at the ISP. If the ISP does PAP then the connect will go much faster
this way rather than negotiating the command line.

Add these two lines so you don't have to spell them out when starting
pppd (you really only want 57600? Not 115200?):

/dev/cuaa1 57600
connect "chat -f /etc/ppp/dial.chat"

Then a simple "pppd" should start your connection. "killall pppd" will
bring it down.