Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 23:42:51 +0000
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?=DEor=F0ur?= Ivarsson <totii@est.is>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        Michael Knoll <knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 and /tmp

Wes Peters wrote:

> Michael Knoll writes:
>  > I moved my /tmp directory to /usr/tmp, and I failed to copy the
>  > permissions.  I noticed on a friends BSD box the permissions are set up as
>  > drwxrwxrwt.  How do I set the t?  What does it man?
>
> It's the "sticky" bit.  Originally, it was used for executables, it told
> older versions of UNIX to save the text segment of the program in the
> swap space as long as possible; this was a way to increase the
> performance of system utilities that were run very often, like sh and
> ls.  On a directory, it tells the system to only allow the owner of a
> file to delete it, very important for tmp directories.
>
>  > Also, I installed X11, and started XDM in a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
>  > When it runs, the server(SVGA_???) goes up to 97% cpu time, and I can't log
>  > in locally.  But, remote connections work, but I lose CPU clocks.
>  >
>  > If I start XDM from a shell as root, it all works fine.
>  >
>  > Where should I be automatically starting xdm on boot?
>
> I do mine in /etc/rc.local, which is the equivalent of
                                           NOT
I got the same problem here! I think we need sleep or something
into the start script or something is not already set up when
xdm is started. In rc.local everything seems to be ok!

--
Þórður Ívarsson		Thordur Ivarsson
Rafeindavirki		Electronic technician

FreeBSD has good features,
Some others are full of unwanted features!