Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:46:45 -0400
From:      raviprasad20@netscape.net
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ioctl

Hi,
Ihave a doubt regarding if->if_ioctl. My doubt is with reference to ipv6. Whenever a solicited node multicast address is formed it is put the multicast address list by calling in6_addmulti(). The in6_addmulti in turn calls if_addmulti() ( net/if.c ). The if addmulti after putting the address to the ifnet ifmultiaddr (multicast address list) call ifp->if_ioctl.
My doubt is about ifp->if_ioctl in general. The above thing is an example.
My doubt is
a) Under what circumstances this ioctl needs to be called.
b) Whether after each ip addresses are put to the ifnet structure's ip list ifp->if_ioctl needs to be called.
c)Whether after any modifications that are done to the ifnet structure this ifp->if_ioctl needs to be called.

Kindly mail me regading this ifioctl in detail.

Regards
ravi prasad