Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:13:52 +0000
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rsync as a remote backup tool

Hi there

we're playing around with rsync as a backup tool at work.

It's awesome as far as smart use of bandwidth goes, but if we
want to preserve permissions, etc we need to run it as root.
(Also we can't see the entire remote directory tree to copy it
otherwsie)

We use SSH as a transport, and I've been using a paswordless
RSA key to let it run from cron - just wondered if there was a way
to avoid running this as root with a blank 'get root free' key?

I know of a few ways to restrict what a user can run, but I'm not
sure how to find out what commands rsync is using?

I know it's not FreeBSD-specific, but wondered if anyone here was
doing something similar and had found a safe(r) way of doing it?

Cheers.

(please cc me in on replies - ta).
--
Turnaucka's Law:
	The attention span of a computer is only as long as its