Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:26:29 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        efutch@nyct.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gif and faith as kld...

> I fixed this obvious problem in the latest message I sent with new
> Makefile's.

Sorry, I received those mails in reversed order.

> Note that there might be some side-effect of making gif into
> a kernel module.  When I was using the gif kernel module I couldn't ping6
> to anywhere.  Now that it's compiled directly into the kernel I can.  I
> have to do more testing I guess.

Ah, I noticed that gif routines need to be defiend in protosw,
and they are defined like below with "#ifdef NGIF" directive.

in netinet/in_gif.c
  #if NGIF > 0
  { SOCK_RAW,     &inet6domain,   IPPROTO_IPV4,   PR_ATOMIC|PR_ADDR,
    in6_gif_input,0,              0,              0,
    0,
    0,            0,              0,              0,
    &nousrreqs
  },
  { SOCK_RAW,     &inet6domain,   IPPROTO_IPV6,   PR_ATOMIC|PR_ADDR,
    in6_gif_input,0,              0,              0,
    0,
    0,            0,              0,              0,
    &nousrreqs
  },
  #endif /* GIF */

in netinet6/in_gif.c
  #if NGIF > 0
  { SOCK_RAW,     &inet6domain,   IPPROTO_IPV4,   PR_ATOMIC|PR_ADDR,
    in6_gif_input,0,              0,              0,
    0,
    0,            0,              0,              0,
    &nousrreqs
  },
  { SOCK_RAW,     &inet6domain,   IPPROTO_IPV6,   PR_ATOMIC|PR_ADDR,
    in6_gif_input,0,              0,              0,
    0,
    0,            0,              0,              0,
    &nousrreqs
  },
  #endif /* GIF */

Some consideration like in ip_mroute.c might be necessary.

Yoshinobu Inoue