Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 09:23:53 -0400
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-Stable Kernel Error?

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Since upgrading to 4.0-Stable, I've been getting a sporadic error message
> > in /var/log/messages that shows up as follows:
> >
> > May 18 12:55:17 merlin /kernel: arp: unknown hardware address format
> (0x0800)
> >
> > It's showed up 3 times in the past 36 or so hours, but not at any point in
> > time that I can narrow it down to occurring near/after/during any specific
> > system event.
> >
> > Any idea what would be causing the error and how to go about fixing it?
>
>This is a network related message, have you added any other devices to
>the LAN your NIC card is connected to? Survey all your networking
>equipment to make sure they're functioning properly, I had a faulty 3C509
>once that would put illegitimate ARP packets on the wire...

I haven't added any network hardware.  Other than upgrading from 3.4-Stable
to 4.0-Stable, the only changes I made were within the kernel, since,
according to the upgrade procedure, it was stated that a new kernel should
be made from the new GENERIC.  I did so, and the only real differences
between my old and new kernel files is that previously I defined all
devices (da0, da1, d2, sa0, cd0, fxp0, fxp1), and now I have it simply as
da, sa, cd, and fxp.

I did also notice that my DNS was having trouble identifying my windows box
(which is sitting at 192.168.1.2) - kept saying that it couldn't ID it and
that it might be faked.  I finally fixed that by adding an entry for it in
the local zone file.  But still, that seemed odd since it was working just
fine about a week ago (on 3.4-stable).

When I get a chance I can try swapping out the ethernet cards to see if one
is bad.

Does any of that help?

Thanks,
John