Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 13:19:21 -0500
From:      Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@homenet>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   GUS MAX support broken under 2.2.5-RELEASE?

Has anyone got a GUS or GUS MAX to work under 2.2.5-RELEASE?  I get
dma_busy errors when trying to play audio files and kernel panics (!)
when trying to play midi or mod files.  After such a slick installation,
I was shocked to see my computer reboot just by running gmod.

I've tried patching isa.c to stop the dma_busy errors.  This stops
messages from being written to the console, but doesn't improve the
garbled sound quality.  I've tried the lastest TASD driver (snd971209),
but it seems it doesn't support the GUS MAX.  I've even tried the
commercial VOXware drivers.  They fail, but at least they don't reboot
my computer.  I've tried to find guspnp6, guspnp7, or guspnp8 -- but
rah.stargate doesn't seem to archive these older versions anymore.

A frustrated newbie to FreeBSD who is otherwise impressed.
Aaron