Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 16:38:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jaz really work?

In lists.freebsd.current you write:

>I could've sworn I saw somebody say on this list that the IOMEGA Jaz drive
>drops right in and goes.

>So I went and bought one.

>I can't get it to work.  It always says the drive is write protected.
>There's numerous errors about mode sense (4), and some other goop.

>P6-200, Adaptec 2940, -current as of 8/26, 2 4GB Barracuda, 1 Fuji 4GB
>disk, Toshiba CDROM, JAZ drive.

>The Jaz is the only external device, but I've mucked with all kinds of
>termination settings, and nothing seems to help.

>So the question is, is anybody actually using this drive with
>FreeBSD-current?

Im using a Jaz internel on a 960801-SNAP just peachy.  It whines about geometry
on boot then makes one up for it.  Peachy.  Havent seen the write protect
message, HOWEVER, I know that via some magic you can tell a cart its write
protected, this is done in software as far as I know.  Perhaps it writes
something to the media.  In any case I've not overwritten my tools disk,
instead im using additional carts I've purchased.  It works, but not great.
The problems:

On a mount the platter must be spinning else you get a panic
Once its mounted your in great shape from then on, whenever you touch the drive
it will spin up as it should.

To change a cart is problematic, you unmount the sucker, slap in a new one, and
then mount it (Again wait until it has spun up).  Again the system panics.

The good news of this is, whenever you get a panic, you can just hop over to
the debugger and type "continue" at which point FreeBSD will happily complete
the operation that caused the panic, and your in good shape.  Just remember to
drop to a non-X virtual terminal before doing any ops that require a continue
:)
--

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich