Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 21:58:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        patl@phoenix.volant.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why use tape for backups? (was: backup method reccommendation?)

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > Yes, if you are foolish enough to reuse a single backup tape instead
> > of at least switching back and forth between two.  (Or, better yet,
> > having a real backup cycle among multiple tapes.)
>
> The same argumentation applies to disks.

It is really expensive to do lots of generation of backups to tape.

> I've used Exabyte and DDS.  I've had many problems with each.

I have used 9 track ,QIC, Exabyte, DDS, and DLT.  I find 9 track
and DLT to be the most reliable.  I have more DLT tape drive failures
than media failures.  And they are fast, and hold lots.  They aren't
cheap though.  This is why at home, I backup to CD-RW, which hasn't had any
failures yet.

David Scheidt